Phonics at Belvidere
Letters and Sounds
We use a synthetic phonics approach based on Letters and Sounds and supported by other appropriate materials.
Our aim is that children should be able to:
- Segment and blend sounds easily
- Learn to segment words into phonemes for spelling
- Learn to blend phonemes into words for reading
- Become fluent readers
- Spell words accurately
- Use a range of approaches to learn and spell irregular words.
Pupils have access to a range of phonics opportunities throughout Foundation Stage Key and Stage 1 which include:
- Whole class teaching of specific spelling patterns
- Daily discrete phonics teaching
- Using phonics knowledge in real life contexts, games and hands on activities
- Applying skills in cross curricular contexts
Teachers provide a wide range of contexts for reinforcing spelling patterns and tricky words. All teachers use Letters and Sounds, other resources used may include Jolly Phonics, Espresso, Education City, Phonics Play as a basis for their planning.
For further information on the phases within the letters and sounds programme, why not have a look at:
All the songs and actions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGpsVmWLRFA
Activities which can be used at home
- Education City / Espresso (Provided through PPG)